Monday, November 1, 2010

Little Learners Is Coming to an End....Say it Ain't So!!

I have had this feeling before.

It was five years ago and we were finish up Early Achievements with A. It was a six month program during which I felt safe and secure in my parenting/therapist duties for A. Toward the end I was pregnant with C (hormonal? perhaps!) and feeling like my world was coming to an end. That's not to say that I didn't learn a LOT by the end of the program--we had once weekly parent training sessions that (to me, at least) were both informative and therapeutic. I just felt like my safety net was being pulled out from under me.

Fast forward!

Little Learners for B is ending in just three short weeks. I am very happy to report that I do not feel the dread I felt five years ago. I have rationalized it by reminding myself that I am busier now (I have 2 more children than I did back then!) and less time to worry about things--but the truth is that I am confident that I can and will do what needs to be done to keep B on track. I know that I can make appointments, I can drive to appointments, I can follow the strategies that Jenny and Emily have taught me, and that I can play a central role in B's development. I am glad to have this under my belt--I've been through it all before--but this time I feel empowered.

Selfishly, I have to admit that I am glad to have our schedule ease up, especially as we enter the busy Thanksgiving & Christmas season. I'll miss our Monday morning gab sessions (eh, parent training sessions) and miss seeing B interact with his two little girlfriends, Becca and Natalie, but a big part of me is excited to have some normal (what's that again?) stuff going on. Hopefully we will increase our time with Mary Pat and Carole and we'll probably be adding a speech therapist as well. In addition to that we have an evaluation set up at The Vines Early Intervention Center--so we may be adding that as well. Geez...maybe I'll be busier now that Little Learners is ending...

Well--we know what Early Intervention can do so you know what??

I'm in.

Happy November, folks!!
tlc

No comments:

Post a Comment