Monday, January 3, 2011

Almost the big 3-5

Here we are, at the beginning of a new year....and sometimes I still manage to forget that I'm not 28 anymore.  Somehow time keeps passing and I'm actually going to be the big 3-5.  For those of you keeping track--that's 5 years from 40.  5 years from 30 too....if you're a 'glass half full' kind of thinker.  In my head I am thinking of this as a 'big' birthday--but in reality it's just another number.  My inlaws will be out of town, my parents busy, we'll celebrate by Hubby ordering in Sushi and watching the Ravens, I'll play with my late Christmas/Early B-day gift the iPod Touch....   But why does 35 seem so, well, monumental?? It just seems so adult--so grown up.  Let me set the record straight...I do NOT feel like a grown up.  I know that I won't get carded at a liquor store...I know that no one is going to take me for a 25 year old...but 35?? There are 35 year old grandmothers out there, folks!! Ack...does this mean that, had things happened way out of order way back when, that I could be a (gulp) grandmother?? Wow.  How did this HAPPEN? When did I get this old??

At 28 I was on top of the world.  I was the young, cute SAHM & wife...I had a toddler, I kept a nice house, I went on playdates, I was happy.  Not that I am not happy now...I would dare to argue that I am in a near blissful state...at least whilst my children are safely tucked into their beds asleep, mind you.  But sometimes if someone has the audacity to ask my age--my gut reaction is to blurt out "28."  Why IS this?? Because once I realize the stupidity of my own thinking I think not only am I NOT 28 anymore...I've lived a lifetime since then! In the last 7 years my life has changed more drastically than at any other time in my memory.  I've watched a beautiful baby girl get diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, I've seen her blossom and flourish beyond my wildest dreams and hopes, I've given birth to two more absolutely amazing creatures, and, despite being together for more than half of my life, I feel like Hubby and I have totally synched up and hit a really good stride.  Why is it, then, that I keep reverting to this silly number....shouldn't my number be "almost 35?"  **Technically I am not 35 until 6:38pm on January 11th...so until that moment I will continue to be almost 35.  Just to be clear. 

I guess I still feel young.  28 was a darn good year for me--but I know that 35 has the potential to knock my socks off.  Check in with me in a few weeks....

No comments:

Post a Comment