Monday, January 3, 2011

B Meets Dr. Anna

I have been both dreading and looking forward to this day for the last month or so.  In November, while doing a walk-a-thon with A at school, I got a phone call that B could be seen at CARD, the Center for Autism and Related Disorders, and the Kennedy Krieger Institute.  We made the request for the appointment at the urging of Dr. Rebecca Landa, head of the Center, and whom we are quite certain walks on water.  Despite many very positive things and tremendous progress throughout the Little Learners Program, the post-testing was still pointing to B having several 'autism red flags and/or behaviors, so--while we totally know what to expect...we found we sort of didn't know what to expect! Hubby hasn't been nearly so worked up over this as I have been.  Whether it's because he's clear headed and optimistic in nearly all circumstances or whether we truly have nothing to worry about, who's to know?? (I prefer to think it's the latter, by the way) Regardless, today was the day and I was really dreading it. 

The very rational, intelligent (yes, there is one) part of me knows that a diagnosis of an Autism disorder is nothing more than an artificial label.  I know that the best thing we, as parents and advocates, can do is to treat symptoms and behaviors as they arise and not focus on a label, a diagnosis, a stigma.  I had totally gotten myself wrapped up in the labeling.  I was preparing myself for hearing that B has autism. 

The very good news--and to cut to the chase--is that after a very lengthy visit Dr. Anna, as she likes to be called, it was observed that Ben is doing quite well in all aspects of development: socially, physically, behaviorally.  Dr. Anna said that had she not heard our history or known anything about us (she heard both Hubby and I speak a few months back at the KKI Autism Conference) ASD wouldn't have come into light at all.  (I'm paraphrasing a bit).  I had so engulfed myself in the thoughts that we were going to walk out with a labeled child that the idea of walking out with a happy carefree B never did cross my mind. 

Now I'm not so naive as to think that things can't or won't change...and I realize that the exhaustive testing that the wonderful clinicians at REACH/KKI certainly points to some red flags for B, but I truly never thought we'd walk out of there with really amazing news.  I, while happy, still spent the rest of the day in a complete fog! 

Even with a very positive prognosis Dr. Anna (and we) still feels that Early Achievements is the best avenue to follow for B right now.  Before I was on the fence (should we/shouldn't we?) but now I'm sure.  We're going to do it--we're going to work past the struggles (signing A up for morning before school care so I can transport B to Early Achievements) and we're going to have a fantastic six months.  I know I'll have a tired little guy in the afternoons, and I'll miss spending my mornings with him, but I know he'll be in very good, very capable  hands.  And I will get what I've been yearning for....a few hours to myself nearly every day.  Even more importantly, though, we'll have the satisfaction of knowing that we are doing everything possible to get B a good outcome.  Maybe we're lucky...maybe we're just in the right place at the right time, but I prefer to think that by being proactive, assertive parents we're doing our kid a huge favor.  

That's it for now, friends...Happy New Year--may it be good for us all~

No comments:

Post a Comment