Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I am cautiously optimistic...

...and I am afraid to actually say the words "out loud" (or in digital ink...) but I think Addie may have turned a corner with her phobia of dogs!!!

Many of you know what a struggle this has been for us--for Addie in particular.  Walks to the bus stop have been horrendous, going to Kennedy Krieger's annual ROAR event (Ride On for Autism Research) last year nearly sent Addie running for the woods, literally. (We neglected to plan for the fact that, as an outdoor event, people would inevitably bring their favorite four-footed companions)  We have avoided friends' homes because a visit caused too much stress, fatigue, and hurt feelings.  Our normal way of life became always being on guard for Fido. 

Then, a few weeks ago, came an invitation from one of Addie's best friends.  It was for a sleepover.  Not only was this to be the first sleepover at a non-family member's house--it was to be at a house with not one, but two dogs!! The stress kicked in immediately...on my end...before I even mentioned it to Addie.  Before Addie even knew about the sleepover I enlisted the help of her guidance counselor at school (yay for Mrs. B!!) and of course Todd and I talked about it extensively.  We also talked to the friend's mom and it was agreed that Cassie could come along for the sleepover.  (Not only would this help Addie in the moral support department--but Cassie would be over the moon to be included with the big girls!!) When we told Addie about the sleepover she was very, very excited--but understandably nervous.  We told her that Cassie would go along to help her out, and we told her Mrs. B was going to help her talk about her feelings a bit too.  We (and our "team") laid a huge amount of groundwork--but only time would tell. 

The big day arrived--we went to buy a special, brand new sleeping bag for good measure--and Hubby and I took the girls to the sleepover.  After some initial nerves, and a final hug, Hubby and I left.  I was a nervous wreck as we drove downtown to meet some friends for dinner.  A few minutes after we were seated I received a text messaged picture of Addie playing happily at the party.  Whew....this evening just may work out after all!! Hubby has pointed out repeatedly that he knew all along that things would go well--but even at that first bit of good news I was still a little skeptical.  A few more texts later and it pretty clear that things were going well!! (a huge shout-out to my friend, Laurie, for being a great sleepover Mom--and for going above and beyond the call of duty for helping Addie through the rough spots!)

I kept my phone and my iPod touch next to my head as I went to bed that night--and woke to check to make sure both were working every few hours--but as I woke up the next morning it was with a HUGE sense of relief--I missed no phonecalls, texts, emails, NOTHING!!! The girls, in particular Addie, had made it through the night.  When I picked up the girls Laurie showed me a picture on her cellphone of Addie, Cassie and the dogs.  Apparently Addie was learning to "train" the dogs--it helped that the pooches are both very good with people, especially kids!

To go back to why I'm cautiously optimistic....we have had progress before--back in December Addie slept at my sister-in-law's house (which is shared by a german shepherd mix!).  But we have always had backslides.  This time--my fingers are crossed. 

Today as we were walking home from the bus stop (yes--walking, not riding in the car!) Cassie and Ben ran up to the house before Addie and me.  Addie noticed that a few neighbors' dogs were out and she got scared and grabbed my arm.  I held her hand tightly and she calmed down.  As we made it to our front yard Addie looked at me and said, "I did it Mommy--I did it!"  Yeah, kiddo--you did. 

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! Way to go Addie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addie was so good with Scooby and Scrappy! I was so happy for and proud of her! Can't wait to have her back so she can teach them some new tricks! We really enjoyed having her and Cassie here. Addie never once mentioned anything about wanting to go home, for any reason! The sleepover was a huge success and lots of fun was had by all! Welldone, Addie!
    xoxox
    Laur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwww that last line brought tears to my eyes!! Way to go, Addie!! :))

    ReplyDelete