Thursday, September 24, 2009

Can't We Just Fit It All In?

In my ongoing attempt to both lose weight and get in better shape, I've decided to try to get on my treadmill for 20 minutes a day. So far (two days in) I'm at 100%. Whoo-freakin-hoo for me!!! Yesterday I managed my 20 minutes while shouting at C to 'stay away from the wires.' She kept asking me, "Mommy, where are you going?" Today I got to 30 minutes. Hubby had taken C to preschool today so after the bus stop for A, I walked home and put B to bed and hopped on the treadmill. I caught an episode of Golden Girls--a real classic, the one where Blanche finds out her brother is gay--and got in 30 minutes before I even noticed! What I did notice, however, was that I was sweating like a pig. P.I.G. Heck, I was probably sweating more than a pig!! (It is fair to note here that I have no technical knowledge as to the sweat or non-sweat habits of actual pigs) B was still catching his zzz's so I jumped in the shower. By the time I finished the quick shower, dried my hair and got dressed I had just enough time to squeeze in a quick phonecall before I had to wake B up, change is disgustingly grotesque diaper, and hit the road to go get C from preschool. All in all this was a great morning! I had time to exercise, the baby got his rest, C was at preschool, life was grand. What I find hard to take, though, is this: Because I spent most of my "free" time exercising and recovering from the sweating-like-a-pig part of the exercising I wasn't able to complete other tasks that are best done while the children are sleeping, at school, or otherwise very occupied. Things like calling insurance companies, paying bills, scrubbing dirty toilets, filling out field trip permission slips. As much as I'm thrilled about finding the time to take care of ME, I'm entirely bummed that it means I have to work harder at finding the time to fit in the other very necessary tasks that fall well within my job description. I called Hubby at some point this morning just to see how his day was going and his answer was a good one. He said if his morning just had a few extra hours in it, it would've been perfect. How true that is!! In a way it made me feel better--that it wasn't just the madly insane housewife/SAHM part of me that simply couldn't handle things, that Hubby too had these time issues that prevented him from completing all of his important duties too. More than that though, it still just bummed me out. I sit here this evening worrying that I won't be able to get it all in tomorrow. Will I be happy and well adjusted Mommy who makes the time for her own needs, or will I be the productive do-it-all Mommy who finds time for anything and everything but herself? Why does it have to be either/or?? Can't I just fit in ALL in? Just this once...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how I am struggling with this too Teri. Maybe we can only be happy, well-adjusted moms every other day.

    ReplyDelete