Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Could You Make Mine Sans Crust?

Ahhh...it's been too long!!

I have been laughing at myself lately, thinking of things that I used to swear I wouldn't do--or wouldn't let my kids do--as a parent.

Let's see...well, first there is the whole pacifier thing. (in our house that would be a 'cork' thing) A was pretty good about the whole cork situation. Once we made the decision that it would be bedtime only--it was as good as done. One night we just didn't offer them and we never looked back. It was great--we felt success as parents. Yay...we broke her of that awful habit!!! Yeah--who the hell were we kidding?? C takes this whole 'cork' situation, well, really freakin' seriously! They are not only her corks, (yeah--we're talking multiples here) they are C's "guys." Why, you ask, are they her "guys?" Well duh--doesn't EVERY 3 year old girl use her "guys" as Little People in the doll house? Anytime they are lost I am nearly guaranteed to find them hiding in one of the two dollhouses in her room. Ugh...I always joke that she won't go down the aisle with her "guys" but I'm starting to get a little afraid! One of the guys, the orange and green one, is held together, I suspect, by pieces of DNA or perhaps boogers. Not sure which--but it also is her favorite guy. Seriously?? Yeah--seriously. Way back in the day I worked in a daycare center, with 3 year olds by the way, and a few of them slept with 3 or 4 pacifiers at naptime. I used to be so disgusted--thinking horrible thoughts about the parents of these little beasts. Ha...joke's on me now, isn't it??

The other thing that always got me was kids who wouldn't eat crusts. I've been known to leave crusts on my plate--but to go that extra step and have them cut off??? Ugh--no way, seemed like a silly detail to me. Lately, little Miss C, has started asking for the crusts to be cut off of her sandwiches. Well--that's the sandwiches she'll eat--by the day that number is dwindling. I swear once we're out of blueberry season we may be out of luck on feeding her entirely. Anyway--back to this whole crust business. I really do have a point ;)

We recently were on vacation at the lake--and while I truly am in my blissful glory (most of the time)when I'm there--it is pure hell getting ready to go and getting ready to come home. Packing up my kids and our stuff, whether it is for one night or 10, is mind-numbing, hard work. Plus there are all of these last minute things that I can't pack up ahead of time--like B's crib aquarium, or C's corks. What if I forget a favorite book? ugh...I am getting tense just thinking about this!! On the other end of the trip is this same dilemma--the packing up and going home. Only this time it's improved upon--we've added dirty laundry to the equation! Seriously--this sucks!! This got me thinking about the whole crusts-off-the sandwich routine. The middle of the sandwich really IS the best part you know...especially if you think about a good one, like PB&J! The middle is where the big glop of peanut butter is, and all around it is the oozy goodness of the jelly. Whats on the edges?? Nothing but dried peanut butter and if you're lucky a little purple smear. Once we were on vacation a few days, things got good--really good. Kids were sleeping well at night, we fell into a nice nap routine, great weather (that was luck!), and fun activities with Pappy & Grandma, too. Even going to the few restaurants we did was great! Then came, cue up the 'dum-dum-dum-dum' music, the final day. Between packing the suitcases, packing the cold stuff to go home, and getting the kids in the car, and trying to do so at a time when B would sleep and A & C will at least be quiet....well--that was just impossible. As it turned out--it wasn't THAT bad a drive home. Hubby took his place behind the wheel--I took my designated spot too, behind the driver seat, next to B, and well within snack-reach for A & C. Shockingly, we made it home in three hours. In one piece, I might add! We survived, and we even *gasp* enjoyed ourselves!!! Success feels so good.

I'd still just like mine sans crusts. please.

No comments:

Post a Comment