Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More details on our People Interview/Photoshoot--when I'm not so tired!

First--many of you have asked about the issue we'll be in. Nothing is set yet~I'll keep everyone posted though :)

B's assessment/Kennedy Krieger Institute: The day started yesterday as smoothly as could be--everyone up, fed, and ready to rock. I LOVE when the days start like that! Hubby's mom was here to be w/ A & C and get them off to Vacation Bible School safely while Hubby and I went along to KKI w/ B. It was a little overwhelming seeing some of the photographic equipment--the rooms at KKI's REACH center are small and down a winding hallway. We were greeted by Dr. Rebecca Landa (love her!) and the wonderful gals at KKI (love them!)--and introduced to Sharon Cotliar from People and Ray and Brian, the photographer and assistant, respectively. (they were good to us--very patient ans sweet w/ the kids) Things got rolling w/ B's assessment but it quickly turned into a photo shoot. It was great though--I've spent so much time over the last 5 years in those testing rooms at KKI, and while I love doing it all and participating in the research--it can be a bit nervewracking!! The shoot made it fun and lighthearted, which I liked. B did really well on one of the assessment tasks--what a sweet thing to see him making the social connections so crucial to every day life! Made my heart sing! During part of the assessment Dr. Landa became concerned about some of B's motor skills and she mentioned this to Hubby and to me as well. While it's always a shock or blow to hear that there is or may be something wrong with your child, I have to say I'd rather know than not know. I will call Infants and Toddlers--if nothing else they will come here to the house, spend some time doing some developmental testing, and reassure me. If something is wrong--we get the earliest possible start on early intervention. Really no downside, the best that I can see.

The Photoshoot: We had a nice break in between B's assessment/Photo Shoot part 1 and Photo Shoot part 2 so Hubby and I were thrilled to actually sit down and eat lunch--alone!! yay :) B was sound asleep from his morning of hard work and Grandma hadn't returned with the girls from VBS. I was a little concerned when Ray and Brian showed up right as Grandma and A & C returned, but they were just making sure they could find our house and said they'd return in an hour. It gave us enough time to finish lunches, feed the girls, and start dressing and primping. A kept asking about whether she'd get 'hair & make up' :) too cute!! On Monday night I became a little freaked out that I didn't have the proper clothing for all 5 of us--Olga Camacho, Photo Editor at People, was kind enough to email me some guidelines for color choices. It helped!! (I went off to buy a LOT of clothing that night...I think I helped JC Penney's 3rd quarter sales quota...) We were all decked out in our coordinating attire in time for the fun to begin. There were a lot of pictures taken~I couldn't even begin to guess how many, but lots of smiles. Of course A & C were giggling themselves to death because we allowed them to say potty words the entire time. Instead of your traditional "say cheese" there was a lot of the more non-traditional "doggy poop kitty butt." Great. This'll come back to haunt us. I'm sure of it. However--Ray seemed to thing things were turning out well, so fingers are crossed that the bad words will be forgotten (yeah, right) and that pics in the mag will be delightful. It was a little weird being on our front porch with lights rigged up on our front yard for pictures...I'm intensely curious to see how our house looks--I know not much of the house is in the pictures, but somehow I think it will look different in these pictures. As Ray and Brian were finishing up their work Sharon and Elise from KKI arrived. Elise (Media Relations for KKI) dropped Sharon to us and went on her way and we sat in Todd's office to start talking. And talk we did--for hours!! I was surprised and impressed with how much time it took, and more surprised at just how fatigued I was after it was done. It was really like re-living A's early years, so it was a little surreal thinking back to the times when she couldn't communicate. Lots of great memories were re-lived though. I do look back on those years and know that they shaped me as a mommy. They certainly shaped how Hubby and I work as a team. (well -that and having 2 more kids...) After the interview was over we got Sharon a cab to the train station and let Grandma go home too. We all put in a LONG day!! Dinner was leftover pizza and then snowballs for dessert. It was an early night too--kids to bed regular time and then we went to bed at 9. I don't even remember turning the lights out--or my head hitting the pillow.

Tomorrow I have to take B back to KKI for the 2nd part of the assessment. I'm a little nervous I guess--knowing that there is definitely something everyone is looking for, but I'm also very excited at the same time. Sharon indicated she may be back tomorrow just to quietly observe the tests, but there won't be any photographing going on...at least not the kind meant for the shiny pages of People Magazine! (Is it Friday yet?? I can't wait to get my newest copy...)

No comments:

Post a Comment