Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Today was the big photoshoot and interview for People Magazine!

We. Are. Tired.

We had a great day though--in all seriousness. The day started with B's 6 month testing at Kennedy Krieger, which was less about testing and more about the photoshoot. B handled it well I think, considering he had lots of unfamiliar people and cameras in his face all morning. One of the tasks he did really well at, the other showed he could have some motor delays. We're certainly concerned--but at this point it's really unconclusive. We'll continue to have these tests every few months, and I'll call our county's Infant & Toddler program to evaluate B's development. We had such a good experience with I & T when A was a toddler and our motto pretty much goes, "if you have a concern at all--call!!"

The photo shoot was sort of surreal...you see photoshoots here and there on tv or something and then when it's in your house it feels sort of like its not your house! We got many, many family shots in our family room on our sofa and then some shots on our front porch also. Most were family shots of all 5 of us, some were just of Hubby, B and me. There were a few taken with just B & me too. I don't think we'll see most of them, just what gets in the actual article...I'm just not sure how all of that works! I would love to see them....

We had a very nice afternoon with Sharon Cotliar, the reporter from People. She was at KKI this morning for the testing with Dr. Landa and REACH staff and then came to our house after our photos were done. I was very nervous about this interview...nervous that I would say something and it would be misinterpreted somehow in print. Of course it'll be a few weeks until it's published--but we've come away from the afternoon feeling pretty postitive. Sharon asked really good questions about A's diagnosis, her early years, her school experiences, etc. We talked about B and the testing today. I loved that Sharon let us talk--sometimes I felt like I was rambling about my answers, but she was more than patient about it and seemed to really 'get' what I was talking about The message I really wanted to relay through Sharon's article is how important Early Intervention is when there are developmental delays. Children learn and grow so much in their first 3 years and it is a limited window of time, yet one where so much good can be done!

I'm so tired...I feel like I'm not writing well--and feel a little overwhelmed. I want to write more about this topic, Early Intervention I mean. It has made such a difference in our lives! Good night all :)

1 comment: