Thursday, July 30, 2009

So I think I traumatized my 3 year old...

I read an article in the current Parents Magazine about the "Cleanup Fairy." It was written by a genius-woman as far as I can tell!! As soon as I put down the magazine I told A & C that they must clean up their toys before naptime or else the Cleanup Fairy would come and take away anything left on the floor. They both scoffed at me...so off to nap they both went. HA!! I will win this battle. Once they were in their respective rooms (C in her room, A in the basement playroom) I went to work, trash bag in hand. Now I must admit there wasn't THAT much on the floor. Mostly pieces of a silly puzzle that was a prize in a fast food meal...so, nothing important. A few other little things, but seriously--nothing 'big.' A few hours later when A came up from the basement it was as if nothing happened. Didn't phase her for a moment. When C came down the steps after her nap--she walked into the family room and her jaw dropped--rather it hit the floor. The sheer fright on her face was enough to make me smile....(evil!) but I kept a straight face and asked what was wrong. "The Kweenup Faiwy wuz heah...she took aw my toys!" It was pretty great, I must say. The rest of the afternoon passed by smoothly--with toys gotten off of a shelf, but returned as well. Yay--score one for the Mommy!! Then came bedtime... Tonight was Family Movie Night--so bedtime was a tad bit late. OK...really late, 9:30. To my kids this is like 4am to us grownups. There were maybe 2 little toys on the floor and I gently reminded Cassie to clean them up before going up the steps to bed. She FREAKED OUT!! "No, no Kweenup Faiwy...no, don't take owah stuff..." She began picking up shoes and pillows and anything not nailed down--just afraid that the Cleanup Fairy would take it. She was beyond exhausted, so I helped her calm down and just told her what a good job she did. She really did--and if she 'gets' it and this whole Cleanup Fairy thing works...even with ONE of my kids, that is great. I just hope I don't have to pull one of our old lines out if it doesn't. It was the old "if you don't listen to Mommy and Daddy, you'll have to go live with a new family now" threat. She may really go and pack a suitcase! Oh well....another day in Paradise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment